Entrepreneurs (suppliers) who want to enter the cosmetic industry often have great ideas for a cosmetic product. They are the artists who use their creative skill to imagine a product which will satisfy an unfulfilled market need. However, these artists need a cosmetic chemist to use scientific methods, observations and experiments to transform their imagination into a practical product suitable for the market. Thus, cosmetic formulation is both an art and a science where the entrepreneur and cosmetic chemist combine to create new and exciting products.
Steps in cosmetic formulation
1. Product Idea: A cosmetic product always starts with an idea for a cosmetic product that is born out of the daily observations of the supplier. It could be a product the supplier sees in the market which can be enhanced or it could be a completely new product idea.
2. Cosmetic Chemist Contact: The supplier then reaches out to a cosmetic chemist. The cosmetic chemist asks the supplier to fill a standard “product development profile” for the imagined product. Writing down into the product development profile helps to crystallize the thoughts into concrete workable ideas. The cosmetic chemist then goes through the “product development profile” and has a call with the supplier. This call helps to further clarify product ideas and set actionable goals for product development.
3. Raw Material Research/Order: Once the call is complete, the cosmetic chemist gets to work. The cosmetic chemist first researches different ingredients/raw materials available in the market for their suitability towards the product. Once the raw materials have been shortlisted, the cosmetic chemist orders them from the raw material suppliers and other online sources.
4. Lab Experiments: Once all the raw materials are received, the cosmetic chemist starts formulating the cosmetic product in the lab. The cosmetic chemist will do various trials and experiments combining ingredients in different quantities and using different procedures (hot batch/cold batch etc.). It will take lots of small batches for the cosmetic chemist (at least 8-10) to arrive at a product that satisfies all client requirements.
5. Product Testing: Once the product is formulated, it moves to the testing stage. In this stage, the cosmetic chemist will keep the product under adverse heat (122 degrees Fahrenheit/50 degrees Celsius) and adverse cold (39 degrees Fahrenheit/4 degrees Celsius) conditions for a week to ensure the product remains stable in such conditions. During this time, the cosmetic chemist will also monitor other product characteristics such as color, texture, viscosity, and pH.
6. Supplier Review/Feedback: Once the product complies with the required testing, a final batch is prepared and the prototype samples are shipped off to the supplier. The supplier reviews the formulated product and provides comments for enhancement. The cosmetic chemist reformulates again as per the above process.
7. Formula/Process Instructions Release: Once the supplier is satisfied, the cosmetic chemist provides the formula and process instructions so that the supplier can get it manufactured from a contract manufacturer of their choice. The cosmetic chemist can also help the supplier to find contract manufacturers based on their contacts within the industry.
Finding a Cosmetic Chemist
Cosmetic chemists are specialized industry professionals and finding the right cosmetic chemist is key to developing a great product. You can check out Antrim Cosmetic Solutions, providers of cosmetic formulation services on RangeMe to take the next step in product formulation.
About the Author
|Antrim Cosmetic Solutions is a cosmetic formulation company specializing in the formulation of skin care and hair care cosmetics. Antrim’s cosmetic chemists understand that supplier needs can be specific – natural/organic/vegan/ayurvedic. With Antrim’s expertise in Cosmetic Science and Technology, cosmetic formulations are developed as per supplier requirements for their brand. And the formula for the product is always owned by the supplier. So take the next step and contact Antrim Cosmetic Solutions for your formulation needs.|